A career in the Cannabis Industry
People who grow cannabis are concerned with the concentration of THC in the final product. Tetrahydrocannabinol is the chemical which is found in marijuana which causes psychological effects which are brought about by cannabis. States have taken several years to legalize cannabis and with time, more countries are legalizing it. With time, it has become easier to start a cannabis business. Marijuana seeds are available at a cheap price.
How to Start a Cannabis Business of Your Own?
There are a few things you need to start a cannabis business of your own.
Knows the Laws
Laws about cannabis are one of the most important aspects and before starting your own business, you have to take a look at the requirements of the state and know how to start a medical marijuana business or a recreational cannabis business. State laws vary from one country to the other. So, you will have to get familiar with them to understand how it can affect your business.
Know Which Niche to Specialize in
It is important to find your niche as it will enable you to start apart. Moreover, there are regulations which will drive what you do and you cannot do within a specific niche be it growing to manufacture, or selling. Thereafter, find out how to become a weed farmer, manufacturer, or a seller.
Develop a Business Plan
When you learn about the state laws which govern dispensary job set-up, you will want to consider the business goals. Also, find out requirements to work in a dispensary. Develop a business plan which will cover the important aspects of running a business which includes personal decisions, marketing, and sales. Another thing that you need to consider is finances. Make sure that you have enough working capital.
Be a Product Expert
If you have medical marijuana a success, it is important that you and the staff member under the product. Consumers are going to depend on your knowledge and how it will be beneficial for their health. Some states require you to have training.
Get to Know the Suppliers
You need to know where the products are coming from and you shouldn’t be afraid to reach out to the manufacturers and get to know as much as possible. Several suppliers tend to be welcoming when you ask them to show around their business and look forward to building a long-term relationship.
Plan Your Marketing Technique
When you learn about cannabis laws in your state, you will have to understand how these laws can be applied to the goals and plans to market the business. There are some states which allow dispensaries to operate but do not allow you to advertise the business.
It can be an easy process to start a cannabis business when you know the above-mentioned things.
Rules, Requirements, and Responsibilities to Work in Cannabis
If you want to work in the cannabis industry, you should know that 33 states have made medical cannabis legal and 10 states have legalized medicinal cannabis. It can be quite tricky when you seek jobs in the medical marijuana industry. However, cannabis jobs are still jobs. To work in this industry, you will have to take it quite seriously. There are loads of jobs when it comes to the marijuana industry. However, before you start working, you will have to consider how you want to work, which would you like to work for, and what would like to do in your office.
Saying that legal marijuana is heavily regulated might be an understatement. States which have legalized cannabis whether as recreational or medicinal have their own set of laws and regulations which you have to follow. The rules are not limited to the sellers or grower’s door. These are also applicable if you are seeking employment.
Trimming is one of the oldest pre-legal works for growers and the legal industry requires these workers. They are generally hired during the harvest month to trim cannabis flowers from the dried plants. Every cannabis grower has to do this work.
This might be a cool job to have but you need to have intricate knowledge about the product. Any state that has cannabis dispensaries will have budtenders for helping out the retail buyers.
When it comes to entrepreneurship, the options are limitless as more states are legalizing cannabis. You can open a dispensary. However, you will need sufficient financial support for starting a cannabis business.
Success in the Cannabis Industry
The legal marijuana industry is worth $9 billion in the United States. As a matter of fact, it is one of the fastest-growing jobs in the US. It is estimated to reach $21 by the end of 2021. This has led to many cannabis jobs and plenty of people seeking careers in the weed industry with a high amount of salaries.
Let’s take a look at how much you can make before you search for a job in the marijuana industry.
This is where everything starts and this offers the highest paying cannabis jobs. Nevertheless, working in this sector required special skill and knowledge. The most common jobs in the cannabis industry are Junior Grower, Master Grower, and Bud Trimmer.
This is one of the highest paying positions of the industry and to work you have to know how to become a grower for a dispensary. The average salary of a master grower varies from $80,000 to $150,000.
This is the position where you will have to work under the master grower. As a junior grower, you can expect a salary of $30,000 to $70,000.
Bud trimmers manicure the plants and are an entry-level job. It is a great option to break into the careers of cultivation. The salary of an average bud trimmer is $20,000 to $25,000.
Production is the process to retrieve cannabis plants from growers and then processing it to get cannabis products. Few jobs in this area include extract technician, master extractor, and delivery drivers.
A master extractor looks after the whole production process. Being a master extractor you can earn $60,000 and $100,000 every year. However, at times have Ph.D. and experience in the field can give you as much as $180,000.
Entry-level technicians can earn $45,000 to $75,000.
Packaging And Delivery Drivers
This job is generally assisting extractors. The hourly wage varies from $13 to $21 and full positions pay around $25,000 to $45,000.
Dispensary Sales Manager
Dispensary manager is a part of management and looks after various aspects of the industry. Average pay ranges between $40,000 and $95,000 for a year. The assistant manager supports general managers and you can expect to earn about $31,000 to $40,000 every year.
To be a budtender, you need to have some idea about the cannabis products and you can work in cannabis consulting companies or dispensaries. The job will pay you about $12-$16 for an hour. Thus, the salary ranges from $25,000 to $35,000 in a year.
An accountant takes care of many of the same duties. The salary for this position is around $40,000 to $75,000.
These jobs include maintaining patient records, answering phones, verifying MMJ cards, and managing customer inquiries. The position pays an average salary of $25,000 to $35,000.
Men vs. Women, Who Lead Cannabis Business the Best?
With time, the cannabis industry is becoming more welcoming for female entrepreneurs often more than the other industries. The number of women associated with the cannabis industry is 27%. This is higher than 23% of the average number of executive positions held in other industries. The total numbers of female cannabis executives in the industry make up 36% of the industry according to research in 2015.
Some of the popular names in the cannabis industry are Patricia Rosi, Maine’s Wellness Connection’s CEO. Another big name is Nancy Whiteman from Wana Brand. Several women are leading the way with certain wellness-focused products.
Cannabis Industry in the Near Future
Over the next few years, here are some changes that you are going to notice with the cannabis industry in the future.
- Become legalized throughout the world recreational use.
- Change several industries and bring forth many job opportunities.
- Turn out to be an international economic force.
- Face much backlash from law and order type community groups and politicians.
Legalized cannabis can change our culture and economy. However, it is not going to be an easy path.
Why is Cannabis Delivery Service the Next Big Thing in the Weed Industry?
Cannabis delivery might be the next big thing in the cannabis industry. New apps are being introduced which are going to connect the users of marijuana to the dispensaries. Thereafter, it will deliver the weed to the house of the consumer. It is being referred to as the Uber of marijuana delivery. However, the app hasn’t been launched yet as the founders want to be sure that it is still going to operate as the middleman for the dispensaries and the consumers before being downloaded.
Top 10 the Most Profitable Marijuana Jobs
The ten most profitable cannabis jobs are as follows;
- Cannabis Product Development Lead: $70,000-90,000
- Dispensary Manager: $75,000-85,000+(Bonus)
- Head Edibles Chef: $80,000-100,000
- Applied Research Biologist: $95,000
- Controller: $80,000-95,000 plus bonus
- Cannabis Lab Technician: $75,000-110,000
- Director of Cultivation: $80,000-110,000
- Cannabis Head Grower: $100,000-120,000
- Lead Cannabis Extraction Specialist: $120,000
- Dispensary Director of Retail Ops: $125,000
Jobs That Support the Legal Marijuana Industry
The jobs supporting the marijuana industry are;
- Bud trimmer
- Extraction Technician
- Dispensary Manager
- Edibles Chef
Cannabis jobs are increasing with the legalization of recreational marijuana.
5 Tips to Find the Right Cannabis Job
If you are considering how to get a job in the cannabis industry, here are some tips to follow.
- Before you apply for any position, you should consider what you like doing, what you can do, what are the kinds of environment that you can thrive in, and what inspires you. Think what unique perspective you are capable of bringing to the industry.
- Do your homework by considering if there is a cannabis industry that you would like to work for. In case you do, visit the website to find out more about their business. Get to know about the team, values, and mission of the top weed companies. Keep in mind that no two businesses are the same.
- The present legal situation with respect to marijuana is quite complicated. However, the amount of restriction will depend on the profession in this industry. When your job is not associated with touching the plant, the legal situation is pretty different. You have to be careful as there is no one-size-fits-all solution. What is an application to a person with a certain job might not be applicable to you?
- Marijuana is a tight-knit community. It is an industry which is born out of activism. People have come together to fight local, state, as well as federal restrictions. The hard work they put in has led to the foundation of the industry. However, this doesn’t mean that newcomers are not welcome. There are several operations which seek outside talent. If you have a genuine passion for the industry, get to know the facts behind the companies before you go for hiring.
- Volunteering can be a great way to use your talent in cannabis career. Also, you can showcase your commitment and passion towards the plans to the colleagues and employers of the cannabis companies. It will also help you to know where your interest lies.
- 1 How to Start a Cannabis Business of Your Own?
- 2 Rules, Requirements, and Responsibilities to Work in Cannabis
- 3 Success in the Cannabis Industry
- 4 Men vs. Women, Who Lead Cannabis Business the Best?
- 5 Cannabis Industry in the Near Future
- 6 Why is Cannabis Delivery Service the Next Big Thing in the Weed Industry?
- 7 Top 10 the Most Profitable Marijuana Jobs
- 8 Jobs That Support the Legal Marijuana Industry
- 9 5 Tips to Find the Right Cannabis Job